Top 10 Vitamin B12 foods
Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin is a water-soluble complex vitamin. Though many of us are acquainted with the term Vitamin B12 but knowledge regarding Vitamin B12 foods and its necessity in our regular diet is mostly unknown to us. Most importantly, if your diet is devoid of vitamin B12 foods, you can suffer from acute anemia, depression and fatigue, which in long run may cause permanent damage to brain and central nervous system. However, to be secure, just browse the below mentioned Vitamin B12 foods and include them in your regular diet.
01. Oysters, Clams, Mussels and shellfish – Oysters and Mussels are some excellent Vitamin B12 foods providing 400% RDA and 600% RDA in per 100 gram serving. Consumption of clams will provide the highest vitamin B12 with 98.9µg per 100g serving. Again, you will be amazed to know that shellfish eaten as raw, steamed, baked or fried is highly enriched in Vitamin B12.
02. Caviar (Fish eggs) – Dishes garnished with caviar are a delight to relish. But very few know that eggs of white fish contain 56.4µg of Vitamin B12, per 100g serving is a major Vitamin B12 foods, when chicken eggs only offer 1.29µg of Vitamin B12 per 100g serving.
03. Liver - Try to prepare dishes made of steamed or fried liver of lamb, veal, beef, duck, turkey and goose as they are rich sources of Vitamin B12.
04. Octopus - Frequently used in Mediterranean, Hawaiian and Japanese cuisines, octopus is a major Vitamin B12 food. Cooked octopus contains 36µg of vitamin B12 per 100 gram serving, whereas raw octopus provide around 20µg of Vitamin B12 per serving.
05. Crab and lobsters – Many of us prefer to have crab and lobster either in baked form or steamed or in bisque. Now, you will be happy to know that a 100g serving of crab will offer you 11.5µg of vitamin B12 and a lobster will provide 4.04µg of Vitamin B12 per 100g serving.
06. Fish - Varieties of fishes are available in the market, among which, try to pick up the following fishes as they are great Vitamin B12 foods. Prefer to buy Mackerel, as it contains higher percentage of vitamin B12, followed by Herring, salmon, Tuna, Cod, sardine and trout.
07. Lamb - Whenever, you are relishing preparations made of lamb, prefer to have dishes prepared from lean cuts of lamb, as they are higher in B12 anyway.
08. Eggs - Eggs are excellent Vitamin B12 foods. The yolk has the highest content of Vitamin B12 with 1.95 µg per 100g serving. However, you can also have goose eggs providing 7.34µg and a duck egg enriched with 3.78µg of vitamin B12 per 100g serving.
09. Cheese - Content of Vitamin B12 in cheese depends mostly on type and variety. Swiss cheese is a notable Vitamin B12 food followed by Gjetost, Mozzarella, Tilsit, etc.
10. Beef - The content of Vitamin B12 in beef depends on the cut. Note that lean fat-trimmed chuck of beef provides the highest Vitamin B12, offering 6.18µg per 100 g serving.
Benefits of having Vitamin B12 foods:
• Helps cells in metabolizing carbohydrates, protein and fats
• Essential in the formation of red blood cells
• Needed to produce DNA
• Prevents cardiovascular diseases